An au pair is a young adult wishing to experience a new culture and lifestyle by sharing their time, culture and Apply Now!helping hands with a family in a foreign country. The words “au pair” come from the French meaning ‘at par’, or ‘equal to’. Taking this into consideration, the au pair is meant to be an equal part of the family and treated as a family member.
- At a Glance
- Program Description
- Eligibility & Visas
- Perks of being an Au Pair
- Fees and How to Apply
What is an Au Pair?
An au pair is a young person between the ages of 18 – 30 who lives with a family in a country other than his or her own for a maximum of 12 months, helps with general housework and childcare in exchange for room & board and pocket money (stipend). The au pair program is one of cultural exchange and the au pair is given the opportunity to study and to experience the culture of the country that he/she is in. In return, the au pair will be asked to perform general household duties (washing and tidying up, laundry, ironing, cooking etc.) and to take care of children during a limited number of hours a day and/or baby-sit at night. The au pair is not an employee but a member of the family and will be treated as such.
Spain, officially known as the Kingdom of Spain is a middle power and development country with the fourteenth largest economy in the world. Spain is also the fourth largest country in Europe. Mainland Spain is a mountainous country, dominated by high plateaus and mountain chains. The climate in Spain can be divided into three groups which are the Mediterranean climate characterized with hotter summers and colder winters; semi-arid climate characterized by dry seasons that extend beyond the summer and oceanic climate where unlike for the Mediterranean climate, winter and summer temperatures are influence by the ocean, and have no seasonal drought.
Due to its geographic location, popular coastlines, diverse landscapes, historical legacy, vibrant culture and excellent infrastructure, Spain has become an international tourist industry among the largest in the world. In the last five decades, international tourism in Spain has grown to become the second largest in the world in terms of spending.
What is it like to be an au pair in Spain?
The au pairs regular day-to-day duties will include:
- 25-30 working hours per week, max. 6 hours per day
- During bank holidays or when the kids are sick at home, you may be required to provide extra help to the family, in exchange, you will also get extra pocket money or additional free days.
- Babysitting on 1-2 evenings/week could be necessary
- Be a responsible and caring person with your host children
- playing with children
- occupying the children (e.g. crafting, painting, reading something out to children)
- looking after the children/babysitting
- bathing and dressing of the children
- accompanying and fetching the children (e.g. to/from the kindergarten, school or playdates)
- preparing snacks / small meals
- taking care of the laundry, including ironing
- cleaning the apartment, including vacuuming, dusting and wiping
- preparing simple meals
Your activities will dependent on the needs of your host family. Before you arrive in Spain, you will have the possibility to contact the family and learn more about them, their needs and your future activities.
Requirements for Au Pair in Spain
In order to apply and take part in the Au Pair in Spain program, the candidate must:
- Be between 18 – 30 years of age
- Have previous childcare experience
- Have basic knowledge of Spanish language. (Some families are willing to host au pairs without Spanish knowledge)
- Do a medical check/Doctor’s note stating you are in good health
- Have medical coverage in the event of sickness, maternity or accident
- Duration: 3 – 12 months
For more than 3 months stays, au pairs need a student visa or working holiday visa. Rules and regulations for Student Visas are constantly changing. We recommend that you should contact the consulate before your departure. Further information can be obtained from the Spain Embassy.
Note: Au Pairs should apply for the program at least 4 months in advance!
What benefits does an Au Pair in Spain receive?
Next to your working hour and duties, you will also receive certain benefits, which are:
- You earn 70-280 € pocket money
- Complete weekends, Saturday and Sunday off. The host family will provide 1 week paid vacation for 6 months of service or 2 weeks for 12 months of service.
- You will have free room and board; During summer holidays, you may share room with kids as holiday homes are smaller.
- Time available to attend Spanish courses and participate in cultural and other educational opportunities.
- The family will treat you as a family member
How to apply to be an Au Pair in Spain?
Aside for the program fee of $600 CAD + the $50 non-refundable application processing fee, candidates will also have to pay for:
- Flights (return)
- Health insurance
- Cost for a criminal background check and any other fees for required documents
The Au Pair in Spain Program fee includes:
- personalized au pair matching and placement with a suitable host family
- placement with well-screened, suitable family who agrees to the high program standards of the International Au Pair Association (IAPA)
- guaranteed maximum working hours and pocketmoney & contract in accordance with IAPA regulations
- pick-up at airport or train station
- orientation package upon arrival
- au pair activities and events organized by hosting agency
- also processing and screening of your application plus interviews
Our program is designed to give you personal & administrative assistance as well as assurance that you are going to have a great au pair experience with a safe and comfortable family!
The Application process for the Au Pair in Spain Program has two parts:
PART 1 – ONLINE APPLICATION – AU PAIR IN SPAIN
- Complete the online au pair application form
- Submit a “Dear host family” letter explaining your family background, experiences with children, motivation for the au pair programme, personality…
- Passport copy
- $600 CAD application fee invoiced after you have been accepted to the program based on the online application. Read our refund policy here.
After submitting your online au pair application form, your application will be reviewed. If your application is accepted, you will be prompted to pay $50 CAD/USD or 50€ non-refundable application processing fee. This must be paid before proceeding with the skype interview and the Part 2 of the application process. This fee can be paid by paypal, interac e-transfer or bank transfer.
PART 2 – TO BE SENT BY EMAIL AFTER ACCEPTANCE TO THE PROGRAM
- 2 childcare references
- photos with family, friends and children you have taken care of (maximum 5 photos
- copy of most recent diploma
- a criminal record check certificate