Emma is a young Canadian who is working as an au pair in Holland (properly known as the Netherlands). Today she would like to share her experiences about living abroad with a Dutch family and taking care of the children.
1. Why did you decide to be an au pair in Holland?
I decided to Au Pair in the Netherlands because I was interested in the social/cultural structure. I admire the practicality of their laws. People are physically active, never wasteful, very helpful and generally well rounded.
2. What do you like most about this experience as an au pair and student in another country?
I like being an Au Pair because it gives me a chance to really experience a country and the culture while travel to other parts of Europe occasionally. Meeting other Au Pairs because while we all came from different places, we are all outgoing and willing to try new things.
3. What do you enjoy most about being part of a Dutch family?
The household is run in a very efficient manner.
4. What was your favorite thing to do with kids?
I like being active with the children; swimming, biking, jumping on the trampoline etc.
5. What has been your biggest challenge as an Au pair? What advice would you give to other new Au pairs?
It can be a challenge to make other plans if you always stay in your house or neighborhood. It’s important to try and meet up with other Au Pairs, go to events and be social. Otherwise life can get lonely.
6. How do you think this experience will help you in the future?
I have learned so much from the experience so far. I’m more confident meeting new people and making friends. I’m also more confident spending time alone, especially traveling alone and relying on myself. I’ve learned a lot of patience from working with children and I’ve had a lot of fun in the process.
7. What made you decide to work with Latitude International Education for your Au pair placement? Would you recommend this service to others that would like to Au pair?
Thanks, Emma, for taking the time to share your story with us! We’re so happy to hear that you’re having a wonderful experience as an au pair in the Netherlands. ~ Latitude International Education